Purpose of this Privacy Notice
This privacy notice sets out the standards that you can expect from Lei Dat & Baig Solicitors Ltd (LDB) when we request of hold personal information (‘personal data’) about you, How you can obtain access to a copy of your personal data and what action you can take if you think the standards are not being met.
LDB is a private firm of solicitors and is the data controller for the personal information we hold. LDB collects and processes personal data for the vital interests of the data subjects, performance of a contract, compliance of a legal obligation with the express and lawful consent of the data subject. Our function is to provide legal services to the data subject.
LDB sometimes uses data collected from data subjects in the form of a customer satisfaction questionnaire to measure customer satisfaction and to be informed of areas for improvement.
Types of Personal Data We Process
We only process personal data that is relevant for the services we are providing to you. The personal data that is collected will be stored on your file, in both an electronic and paper form, and is used for the purposes which have been set out below.
Purpose of Processing and the Lawful Basis for the Process
The purpose for which LDB collect and process the personal data you have provided on this form is to further our legal case with us. Specifically, we will use this personal data in the following ways:
- In processing your information to create a file for you- this will have a specific and unique reference. Your data will be used to assess whether you are eligible for legal aid if appropriate, and will also be used to advise you of the legal options which are available to you.
- In considering whether any referrals are necessary or whether you need to be sign posted to a particular organisation – this may include another firm of solicitors/legal representatives, or other professional organisations. This is dependent on the circumstances of your case and our professional judgement.
- In making any application to the Legal Aid Agency if appropriate, and making any application to the Home Office, an appropriate Tribunal, HM Land Registry or any other relevant organisation in connection with your case.
Where LDB is unable to collect this personal information, we would not be able to conduct the activities set out above. This would prevent us from providing an appropriate level of service to meet your needs.
The Lawful basis for LDB collecting and processing your personal data is the result of your
express informed consent.
We also collect ‘special categories of personal data’ for the purposes of furthering immigration/asylum cases. This is a necessary requirement given the nature of such applications. Such data is also collected on Legal Aid forms (subject to your specific consent to that purpose) and this a requirement placed upon us by our Legal Aid Agency contract.
Who the Data May Be Shared With
We are sometimes required to share the personal information we process with other organisations, and a non-exhaustive list is mentioned above. When this is necessary, we will comply with all aspect of the relevant Data Protection laws.
You are able to contact our data protection officer, Mr Ibrar Hussain, solicitor and director
at LDB, for further information on the organisations we may share your personal data with.
Details of Transfers to Third Country and Safeguards
It may sometimes be necessary to transfer personal data overseas. If your case involves an out of country immigration application, information may need to be transferred to the country where the application is being made, or processed by UKVI. Any transfers made will be in full compliance of the Data Protection laws.
Retention Period for Data Collected
Your personal data will not be retained for any longer than is necessary for the lawful purposes for which it has been collected and processed, unless you specifically request erasure of your data with good reason. We will store the personal data collected for a period of six years, and our lawful reason for the retention of data is for the defence of any legal claims that can be brought in this period.
While we retain your personal data, we will ensure that it is secured against any loss,
misuse, or unauthorised access or disclosure. Once the retention period has been reached,
your personal data will be permanently and securely deleted and destroyed.
Access to Personal Data
You can find out if we hold any personal data about you by making a ‘subject access request’.
If you wish to make such a request, please contact our Data Protection Officer at the following address:
Mr Naeem Baig – Data Protection Officer
Lei Dat and Baig Solicitors Ltd
56-58 Renshaw Street
Upon making your request, you will be required to provide the following information:
1. Your full name.
2. Where an out of country immigration application has been made, the name of the
3. Your full address.
4. Your date of birth, or if the application was an out of country immigration application,
the date of birth of the applicant.
5. Our file reference number.
When We Ask For Your Personal Data
We do not ask for any personal data which is irrelevant or excessive. When we collect your personal date, we have responsibilities and you have rights. These include
- That you can withdraw consent at any time, where relevant;
- That you can lodge a complaint with the supervisory authority;
- That we will protect and ensure that no unauthorised person has access to it;
- That your personal data is shared with other organisations only for legitimate purposes;
- That we don't keep it longer than is necessary;
- That we will not make your personal data available for commercial use without your
- That we will consider your request to correct, stop processing or erase your personal
When we ask for your data, we will comply with the law. If you consider that your information has been handled incorrectly, please contact the Information Commissioner for independent advice about data protection. You can contact the Information Commissioner at:
Information Commissioner’s Office